Since we've been home from Ethiopia we've suffered from jetlag, fever, cough, runny nose, lack of sleep, zero sleep, good food, bad food, too many activities on the calendar, three people in our bed, too many doctor visits, unseasonably cold weather, family adjustments, too many things on the work to-do list, attachment adjustments, too much laundry, grumpy mama, grumpy daddy, colds again.
But, today was the final blow. I love to hang clothes out on the clothes line and/or the drying racks in the house but I can't seem to get our clothes from the washer to the clothes line/drying racks. Nope, the clothes are feeling lonely and sad waiting for me in the washer. I know if I would blink twice Eric would say, "Let's drop them off at the dry cleaning place and pick them up in a couple of days when their washed, dried and folded." There are two concerns I have with that: 1) The cost 2) Someone seeing and touching our laundry. Humor me. I can't get over #2.
Some might say I'm OCD about our laundry and I'd tend to slightly agree as I hate to put any clothing items in a dryer that can be dried on a rack and then guaranteed to stay like new. Laundry has been kicking my rear-end though. I'm averaging a load every 2.3 days which just isn't cutting it. So, I decided to take a closer look at our clothes dryer and see if one of the 30+ settings would promise to dry our clothes and not shrink them. Low and behold there are multiple settings that should work if I'd only try them. Why not try the 'casual wear' setting Deb and see what happens?! I'm to the point where even if I mess up and our state of the art dryer shrinks some items, I've got to believe that it will save me time.
It worked; It's an amazing contraption that there dryer. With three kids 6 and under I've now realized that I'm no longer Wonder Woman and the laundry can, and will, get done if I trust in the machine that was designed to help with drying clothes. My goal is one load of clothes per day. If that happens it means I'll have so much extra time on my hands that I can kick back and eat bon bons on the couch while having my nails painted by a house-calling manicurist. (Is there such a thing?)
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
I've been reduced to 'casual wear'dryer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
???
You waited how long to figure out that a dryer *drys clothes*?
Here's my trick. I just buy all my clothes from the consignment place for 3 or 4 dollars then throw them in the dryer for as long as I want. When the one sleeve shrinks to half the length of the other, I just chuck it in the trash. But that's me...
I guess you can line dry if you want.
Did you forget your ever-loving
MOM?
You crack me up :-)
I enjoy using my outdoor clothes line, but have no drying racks the inside the house. Now that the weather is colder, the dryer gets lots of use. It also helps heat the utility room which is nice now that it's cold.
I love the wash dry and fold. And it never takes days. I went through a phase where that's how everything was washed. I will admit that I ended up with like a thousand pair of undies cause I wouldn't put those in the pile for anyone else to wash...
Hey take it from the Head Laundry Man in our house, things could be worse. I check every pocket now that one time lipstick was in a pocket and what a mess to clean up and the clothes.............
I use a drying rack for all my shirts so they don't shrink, so understand that. And if you find the house calling manicurist send her to Oregon, cuz I need a pedi:)
Pat,
Was that an offer for us to back the truck up to your place with all our dirty linens so that Gerry can do our laundry too? ha ha
Thank you everyone for giving me a much-needed laugh. Sounds as if I'm not the only one with laundry issues. That is except for you Eli who seems to have it mastered.
Post a Comment