Today we received our newest LARGE folder of information labeled Family Preparation Packet. This packet is stuffed with items relating to post adoption resources for parents, child safety issues, child health issues, and child/parent interaction (which covers items such as: promoting attachment, talking with children about their orphanage background, transracial and transcultural adoption, and Ethiopian hair care).
We will be going over all of the materials during our next phone conference on the 22nd and after reading through all of the materials I now feel much better prepared. It's amazing how just when I think we've read almost everything we need to know to survive and flourish, I realize I'm wrong and we still have a long way to go. How many times can I be wrong......in a day, in a week, ever? ha
The reality of completing all of the materials is not so much a sense of accomplishment as it is a longing to have Joseph home so that we can figure out how to do his hair and also figure out what lotion will work best on his type of skin. It solidifies the fact in my mind that we are getting so close to having him home while not being able to call him and say, "I love you and can't wait to hug and kiss you." I envision rocking on the glider singing and cuddling as I rest my head on his and hope that he'll want to snuggle.
Kelli asked if it's easier, or harder, now that we have Joseph's pictures and I said I believe it's easier. But tonight it doesn't feel easier as I sit here looking at him wondering how he's doing and also wondering what he thinks when he looks at our photos in the album that we sent to him.
Tomorrow night I'm going to start on my official 'to-do' list of items we'll need to have ready when he gets home. Alot of the basics are covered since he and Luke will be sharing a room, but I'm wondering should we put up the crib, should we try him in the regular bunk beds that's already there that Luke moved up to the top bunk (but has since returned to the bottom). Maybe we should start with the 'what to pack for our trip' list and then jump back to the bedroom.
Monday, July 13, 2009
Family Preparation Packet
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How exciting - things are moving quickly for y'all now! Can't wait to see pictures. I'm glad, too that our agency is doing all this preparation and getting you ready for whatever may pop up.
Do you have travel dates yet?
Blessings,
mel
Mel,
No travel dates, and no court date yet.
I spoke with Tami yesterday and she talked about the MOWA training that is affecting cases. We had hoped for an August date before courts closed, but she had mentioned at time of referral that we should hope for August, but prepare for October and so that's what we did. Now with this MOWA training it definitely looks like court in October.
Oh well, we're just happy that things are moving in the right direction and we know the end will eventually come.
I'm loving Dove and their communication. I thought it was nice that we received a personal call since we were waiting for court and MOWA would have a direct impact on us.
I do hope you hear something soon! I'd love to be there when you are.
Post a Comment