Thursday, July 23, 2009

It's all in a name

Joseph, that's the name we have chosen for our son from Ethiopia. I've blogged it before, but had it on my mind tonight after receiving a note from a dear friend calling him Joe.

I'm a gal that doesn't like shortened names or nicknames thus the reason for Kelli, Ryan, Luke and Anna. Eric did have a lot of input into our children's names too.

Well, with Joseph we felt that it would be much easier for him if we switched his name simply from his Ethiopian given name of Yosef to Joseph. I'm hoping that he is indeed called Joseph and not Joe, Joey, JoJo, etc. Joseph is such a strong name and has great meaning (God is perfect) that I don't want to water it down.

His buddies, and others, may call him by a different name when he's older, but we'll stick to Joseph.

1 comments:

Tamara B said...

It's too funny that this is the first post I've read in regards to giving a little insight about you... I too am the exact same way about my children's names. Partly because I had a given name and a nickname and few people call me by my given name. The other part is that my last name is super long and difficult and I wanted my children to be able to spell their full name... and have it fit in the boxes.

Anyway, I read back through some of your posts. I love that you have children but are wanting to add to your home. There are so many orphans that need a family! We have two bio kids and are hoping and praying for siblings.

Glad to "meet" you!