Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My heart is swollen with gratitude

When we started Joseph's adoption process all of the feelings and memories of Anna's adoption came flooding back and some of the memories of the agencies that we dealt with weren't necessarily all warm fuzzies.

What a difference four years and different agencies makes! I honestly have to say that we couldn't have better agencies, and staff members within those agencies, than we have this time around. Everyone has been exceptional with their communication and integrity. A big thank you to Jody at Hillcrest Family Services of Iowa, Lisa at Building Arizona Families, and Tami and Karen at Dove Adoptions.

Today I was having a hard time getting all of my thoughts together on how we should broach certain parts of Joseph's family discussion with him and with Luke and Anna. All it took was one email to Lisa and she had me back on course in no time flat. Tomorrow Dove is calling us to help us prepare for Joseph's homecoming.

I don't feel like an island trying to survive a tidal wave of paperwork, bureaucracy and emotions alone. Part of this happy, happy attitude probably has to do with the fact that our adoption process has taken the direction that we were told it would without any significant detours. In some areas we have been way ahead of schedule and so we're not whining and crying about the system not working or bogging down because in our case it's gone faster than the projected timeline.

It's so easy to get upset with people and organizations when they're not performing as we think they should, but I just wanted to say I'm so grateful for what our agencies have done for us from start to present.


Totally off subject--I've been compiling a list of items that Internet blogging friends and others have mentioned would be good to stick in the suitcase for Ethiopia or remember to do before we leave home. Well, my list is 4 pages long (single spaced) and knowing that Eric and I will be allowed only two 50 pound suitcases each I've decided we're going to have to make sure each of the items comes in a one to three ounce container. I was hoping to save 1-2 suitcases for presents for the children at Toukoul Orphanage so that means I'm going to have to scratch some other items off the list.......hhmmm??............bug spray? Nope, better leave that on there. Shaver and shaving lotion? Oh, decisions, decisions, decisions. My goal: To get those cases loaded and under weight limit.

0 comments: