Part of being able to travel to Ethiopia to pick our little guy up means that we should be cautious and get our vacinnations updated as well as have additionally advised travel vaccines specific to Ethiopia. Yippee! We started shots a month ago and today was round 2, with round 3 following on August 6th. Here’s a list of the shots we’re getting: Tetanus-Diptheria, Influenza, Pneumococcal, Hepatitis B, Measles-Mumps-Rubella, Varicella, Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Yellow Fever and Polio. I’m so glad they don’t do these all at one sitting because my arms were both sore after round 1 and again today after round 2. We decided instead of getting the Typhoid shot, which was only good for a short period of time, that we’d go with the medicine that you take every other day for eight days and it’s good for five years. So far, that has been the one with the most side effects for me, but they all tend to give my stomach some slight problems. After hearing that there are indeed people that die from the Yellow Fever vaccine Eric decided to let me do it first and then if I survived he’d do it at round 2. His thought was he didn’t want the kids to be without both parents. ha Well, I survived and now we’ll have to see how he does
The only other recommedations for medications are that we take Malarone (for use against malaria) and Cipro (for extreme travel diarrhea). Now I was hoping that our blog would encourage people to adopt and travel abroad to pick their children up, but I’m not sure if this posting is going to help that cause. So sorry if that’s the case.